Margarita Cupcakes

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!
Let's celebrate with some yummy Margarita Cupcakes :)


I was asked to make dessert for a Mexican themed luncheon for all of the wonderful staff and teachers at my daughter's school. The only thing I could really think of (that I could actually do, easily for 75 people - won't touch Flan) was Margarita Cupcakes. I've seen recipes over the years but have yet to attempt them. So, of course I had to try them ahead of time to be sure they were worth making, and my dad and hubby gave them a thumbs up! Plus, cupcakes are easy to freeze, so I made a third of them fairly early. This frosting kept really well in the fridge ahead of time, and it actually never hardened too much, it was even spreadable after taking right out of the fridge. 
I made up my own recipe after viewing multiple others. Since this was for teachers, on a school day, I figured they maybe shouldn't have alcohol...although, I know many would prefer with the Tequila ;) It would be easy to add it in though! 


CAKE:
1 White Cake Mix
1 cup Margarita premade mix (non-alcoholic)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
4 egg whites
2 tsp lime zest

Preheat oven to 340. Mix all ingredients really well. Place your Mini Muffin Tray (or whatever mold or tray you prefer) on the Perforated Baking Sheet. Using the medium scooper, scoop about 2/3 full into each muffin well. Bake at 340 for about 16 minutes. Let cool about 10 minutes before unmolding. Because I had to make so many batches, I cooled for about 3 minutes, then stuck them in the freezer for about 5-10 minutes. I unmolded, placed cupcakes in a single layer in a gallon Ziploc bag and put back in the freezer. Then I went on to batch #2, then 3... (each cake mix made 40 mini cupcakes and each mini muffin tray makes 20 at a time)...that's why I love that it freezes so well!!

OPTIONAL STEP: I saw a few recipes that made a glaze using 1 1/2 tbsp water, 1 1/2 tbsp Tequila and 1 cup powdered sugar; brush it on the cupcakes after cooling about 5-10 minutes. Then completely cool and add frosting. If you really want an authentic Margarita flavor, then I'd try adding this.

FROSTING:
1/2 cup butter or margarine (or if you prefer ALL butter buttercream, use 1 cup butter and eliminate the shortening)
1/2 cup Crisco or shortening
2 tbsp lime juice OR 1 tbsp lime juice + 1 tbsp Tequila...or more ;)
1 tsp lime zest
1 lb+ powdered sugar (I ended up using maybe 1/2 cup extra to reach the right consistency)

Mix butter and shortening really well (a couple minutes), then slowly add about 1/2 the powdered sugar, add the liquid, then slowly add the rest of the powdered sugar, mixing well until reaching your desired consistency. Whip for an extra 1-2 minutes once frosting is fully incorporated for that fluffy buttercream texture. 
Frost and add some grated lime zest and coarse sea salt on top, even lime wedges if you have enough...enjoy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chili Relleno Quiche...or any other kind of crustless quiche

Chocolate Kahlua Cake

Instant Pot One Pot Pasta