Salted Caramel Chocolate Cupcakes




This is maybe the best frosting I've tasted in a long time - so yummy!! Who needs the cake to go w/ it? ;) But, if you do, then I adjusted a box mix a little to make it yummier!

Cake
1 box Pillsbury Devils Food cake mix (or whatever you like to use)
4 eggs
1/2 cup veg. oil
1 cup milk

Mix until well combined. I used the Mini Muffin Tray and Small Round Mold. Preheat oven to 340 and place the muffin tray and mold next to each other on the Large Perforated Baking Sheet. Fill the muffin tray about 2/3 full and then fill the mold with remaining batter. Bake for 18 minutes, remove Muffin tray but keep mold in oven and bake the Mold an additional 8-10 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool completely. Because I wanted to get them done sooner rather than later, after about 15 minutes, I put the cupcakes in the freezer for about 5 minutes, then I unmolded them super quickly and easily! I frosted right away.

Frosting
Adapted from this delicious recipe and of course I altered it a bit:
Salted Caramel Mocha Brownie cups
  • 1/2 cup butter (normally I prefer unsalted butter but due to the nature of this treat, I used salted this time, not sure it makes much of a difference)
  • 1/2 cup Crisco
  • 1 tsp Vanilla
  • 4 - 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar (this is 1 lb box plus 1/2 - 3/4 cup extra)
  • 1/2 cup caramel sauce - I happened to have homemade salted caramel in my fridge, so I used it - SOOO good and worth the homemade if you have the time; I used this recipe - salted caramel sauce. Make sure it is room temperature or microwave for just a few seconds. IF you want to cheat, then use 1/2 cup store bought caramel sauce and 1 tsp sea salt, and I'm sure it would taste almost just as good. ;) Mix the salt into caramel and let sit while you make the frosting.
  • 1 tsp milk
Beat butter, crisco and vanilla for about 3-4 minutes. Slowly add powdered sugar. (I used the whole 1 lb box first, then added another 1/2 cup after adding the caramel and milk...the original recipes says to add all sugar first and then add caramel and milk.) Frosting will be pretty thick, I added a splash of milk next, then add in the salted caramel sauce and mix well. Add milk, or more milk, if needed to thin out. Then frost those cupcakes & cake and drizzle caramel on top; sprinkle some more sea salt on top if you want. Then, I added some candy corn since these are for the preschool pumpkin patch family outing tonight. ENJOY!!

The one thing I didn't do but wish I had is filled the cupcakes w/ a little a caramel or bake them with a rolo or some caramel candy in the middle - adds a little something extra and brings the flavors together more.

WARNING - if you like caramel - OMG!! IF you are not a huge fan of caramel, don't make these ;)

Comments

  1. Looks yummy. First blog with Demarle recipes that I've found other than mine. I don't do a lot of baking (mostly savory) so I'll be back to look at more of yours....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chili Relleno Quiche...or any other kind of crustless quiche

Chocolate Kahlua Cake

Instant Pot One Pot Pasta