Mom's cinnamon coffee cake...

This is the coffee cake I remember my mom making, and I think her mom made it too. SO...it's a family recipe, and super delicious!! Why is it called coffee cake?? Who knows...it's an excuse to eat dessert for breakfast, which I'm ALL about! ;) And, sure, go ahead and have a cup of coffee to go with.

Recipe:
1. Cream together:
1 1/2 sticks margarine (I used salted butter, but the original called for the bad stuff)
1 1/2 cups sugar

2. Add:
3 eggs and beat well

3. Next add:
3 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
(sift together, but I never do!) and add to the mixture, about a cup at a time till all combined.



4. Mix together (not sure if this step of mixing first is essential, but it's pretty cool to watch if nothing else):
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 cups sour cream
THEN, Fold into cake batter



5. Add:
1 1/2 T (YES, TABLEspoons) of vanilla and mix well (I go back to the mixer for this one, on very low speed until well combined).
*See photo of batter


6. In separate bowl, combine the filling:
3 T butter or margarine, softened to almost melted
3 T cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
*See finished filling photo

7. Alternate Batter and cinnamon mixture in bunt pan.  It works best if you do batter, cinnamon, batter, cinnamon, batter.

Bake 50 minutes – 1 hour at 350ยบ. I took the daisy mold out after 35 minutes, and let the bundt finish cooking the full 50 minutes. For 1 large bundt cake (12 cups probably), I'd let it cook the full hour.

This recipe made my bundt mold AND the daisy mold. So you could cut the recipe, but why not just make an extra small one for a friend?! :)






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chili Relleno Quiche...or any other kind of crustless quiche

Chocolate Kahlua Cake

Instant Pot One Pot Pasta