Missy's Cake

My friend, Missy, has asked me to trade "date night babysitting" for treats - UM, OKAY!! :)
I love baking and am trying to do it less for our house so I don't eat as much, so this is a great swap for me...I get to bake, try new things and take it to her :)

Her 30th birthday party (80's theme, purple & silver) was last night and for her cake, she asked me to make chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting. The funny thing is, I hate cream cheese - there are very few things I would actually say that I "hate" but cream cheese (and blueberries) are at the top of the list. SO, I told her I would try it. Luckily, most everyone else likes cream cheese, especially in frosting, so it's not hard to find my taste testers. So, I originally tried an all home-made from scratch chocolate cake, which she liked. But, then I had her try the Kahlua cake....so, here is the recipe we ended up with.




Kahlua Cake (view recipe here - http://cookingwithdemarle.blogspot.com/2010/08/chocolate-kahlua-cake.html) Except this time I used Pillsbury Dark Chocolate Cake mix and dark chocolate chips - yummo!!

I made 40 mini cupcakes (baked at 325 for 15 minutes) and 1 small round cake (baked in small round mold at 325 for about 25 minutes) using 2 batches of this recipe...there was even more batter leftover, so you could easily make 40 regular cupcakes probably out of 2 batches
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
6-8 ounces crisco (recipes call for butter, which is supposed to taste better; however, I needed the frosting to be stiff enough to decorate the cupcakes and I found that butter made the frosting way too soft...I found that out by using butter first and had a huge batch of frosting I couldn't use, so I ended up using it to frost the small cake for her)
8 ounces cream cheese, NOT at room temperature (having it cold helps to make the frosting stiffer)
5 cups powdered sugar
1-2 tsp vanilla extract depending on your liking
(1/4 tsp of Wilton food coloring gel, I used Violet)
Using the whisk attachment, whip the crisco and cream cheese on high speed for about 3-4 minutes, scraping the bowl down as necessary. Reduce the speed to low and slowly add the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until all is incorporated. Add the vanilla and mix to combine. Increase the speed to medium high and whip for a few minutes until the frosting is light and fluffy, scraping the bowl as necessary. If not frosting that day, store the frosting in tupperware in fridge and pull out to bring to room temperature before frosting. You may need to rewhip before frosting.

Cake and cupcakes using this frosting are fine to sit out 1-2 days, no need to refrigerate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chili Relleno Quiche...or any other kind of crustless quiche

Chocolate Kahlua Cake

Instant Pot One Pot Pasta